Welcome to Spain

In my first post I just wanted to introduce myself. I am an expat based in in Huelva, Costa de la Luz who arrived, desperate to escape the rat race of London three years ago. As with many other expats I jumped at the chance to come to Spain to open an office for the company I was working for.

Of course all my family and friends told me I was crazy and I was hoping my husband would squash my impulsive nature. However, he was just as fed up as I was and said ´lets do it´!

What could go wrong? I speak Spanish, had a job, had some spare cash from the sale of our house....easy. Oh how I laugh when I think back to how it seemed so obviously the right thing to do.

Don´t misunderstand. I love it here. The kids are happy, the people are great and waking up to sunshine for 99% of the year is amazing. But my God has it been a hard slog.

We spent too much money, didn´t plan enough, didn´t find work soon enough, blah blah blah. A story that has been repeated thousands of times over.

And then I nearly had my car repossessed because of an error with the social security (my error and the blessed Spanish bureaucracy). So I wrote an article for www.justlanded.com because I was fuming, which led to writing a short ebook, which has somehow transformed itself into a book that is going to be published next month by www.bookshaker.com!

And so of course the next step is a blog. I have literally thousands of links that I find that are useful for expats and I always plan to put on my website www.inlaluz.com . Do I put them on there? Of course not? Something always distracts me and they sit there lost in my cyberspace.

So instead each time I find a useful website I will share it with you so that it is actually useful to someone!

Yolanda

No comments: