Mind Your Language! (True Story)

There once was an expat, who having been in Spain for a few months felt she had mastered the language quite well.

After a long week of shopping to furnish the new house she had just purchased, she was feeling quite tired and bored with the whole shopping lark and had one last stop to make to buy some cushions.

At the store, she asked the man at the counter where they had the cushions. "Excuse me?" he said with a strange, almost horrified look on his face. "I want some cushions" said the expat, starting to get a little irritated.

"I don´t think that is what you want madam" replied the shopkeeper. Appalled at the rudeness of the man daring to tell her what she wanted, she insisted "I know exactly what I want so give me those cushions NOW".

When the shopkeeper still looked at her with that strange look on his face, she started to think about what she had said. And with horror, it slowly dawned on her that instead of asking for cushions (cojines), she had in fact been demanding that the man give her "cojones", that is to say testicles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I´d like to introduce you to my blog. Pop up as often as you feel like.

Spanish courses in Madrid